Looking for a simple and flexible approach to grow your retirement savings while minimizing risk exposure? The 90/10 investing strategy might be for you. This involves allocating 90% of your investment capital in low-cost S&P 500 index funds and the remaining 10% in short-term government bonds. The idea is that over the long term, the stock market tends to provide higher returns than bonds or other fixed-income investments. With this suggested benchmark, you can easily modify it to reflect your tolerance to investment risk. So, why not give it a try?
The 90/10 Investing Strategy for Retirement Savings
As we plan for our retirement, one of the most important decisions we make is how to invest our money. There are countless investment strategies out there, each with its own pros and cons. However, one strategy that has gained a lot of popularity in recent years is the 90/10 investing rule.
What is the 90/10 Investing Rule?
The 90/10 investing strategy for retirement savings involves allocating 90% of one’s investment capital in low-cost S&P 500 index funds and the remaining 10% in short-term government bonds. This strategy is based on the idea that over the long term, the stock market tends to provide higher returns than bonds or other fixed-income investments. By investing most of your money in the stock market, you can potentially earn higher returns and grow your wealth over time.
However, the stock market is also inherently more volatile and risky than bonds. That’s why the 90/10 investing rule suggests putting 10% of your money in short-term government bonds. These bonds provide a lower return than stocks, but they also provide stability and act as a hedge against market volatility. In the event of a market downturn, the bonds can help protect your portfolio and minimize losses.
Why is the 90/10 Investing Rule a Good Idea?
There are several reasons why the 90/10 investing rule is a good idea for retirement savings:
- It’s simple: The 90/10 rule is easy to understand and implement, even for novice investors. You don’t need to be a financial expert to follow this strategy.
- It’s low-cost: By investing in low-cost index funds, you can keep your investment fees and expenses to a minimum, which can help maximize your returns over time.
- It’s diversified: By investing in an S&P 500 index fund, you are essentially investing in the entire U.S. stock market. This provides a level of diversification that can help reduce your overall investment risk.
- It’s flexible: While the 90/10 rule is a suggested benchmark, you can easily modify it to reflect your own investment goals and risk tolerance. For example, you might choose to allocate a higher percentage of your money to bonds if you are nearing retirement and want to reduce your risk exposure.
How to Implement the 90/10 Investing Rule
If you’re interested in implementing the 90/10 investing rule for your retirement savings, here are some steps you can take:
- Assess your risk tolerance: Before you invest any money, it’s important to understand your own risk tolerance. How much risk are you comfortable taking on? This will help you determine how much of your money to allocate to stocks vs. bonds.
- Choose your investments: Look for low-cost S&P 500 index funds and short-term government bond funds. You can find these investments through a variety of brokers and investment firms.
- Allocate your money: Based on your risk tolerance and investment goals, allocate your money between the S&P 500 index fund and the short-term government bond fund. Remember to periodically rebalance your portfolio to ensure that your allocation stays in line with your goals.
The 90/10 investing strategy for retirement savings is a simple, low-cost, and flexible approach that can help you grow your wealth over time while minimizing your risk exposure. By investing 90% of your money in low-cost S&P 500 index funds and 10% in short-term government bonds, you can potentially earn higher returns while also protecting your portfolio against market volatility. As with any investment strategy, it’s important to assess your own risk tolerance and investment goals before implementing the 90/10 rule.
References for « What is the 90 10 rule in spending? »
A video on this subject that might interest you:
TO READ THIS LATER, SAVE THIS IMAGE ON YOUR PINTEREST: